Hi Everyone! After a VERY, VERY long absence I’m back with a project post 🙂 For Flashback Friday, I used the Sizzix Eileen Hull 3D Travel Trailer to make a toothpick holder for my travel trailer (aka Roaming Retirement Home).
I first saw this made up in a class I took where Eileen Hull was teaching, she had it on her table holding business cards. I fell in love with it and knew I had to have it, only to find out it had been discontinued. Just my luck, LOL! Refusing to be deterred, I was able to purchase one from a fellow group member on Eileen’s Facebook Fan Club. Believe it, or not, that was the hardest part of the project 🙂 I have attempted to pull together a list of all the products I used…See below. BTW I want to apologize in advance for the poor lighting quality of the photos, I’m still learning and hope to get better with time.
Products used are linked, when available, in the thumbnails at the end of this post. Compensated affiliate links may be used at no cost to you.
* I started by cutting all the pieces from white Sizzix Mat Board on my Sizzix Big Shot. Then using Tim Holtz metallic cardstock, I cut the trailer front, back and base out of silver, and the base again out of teal cardstock. I ran all of the metallic cardstock pieces through my Xyron Creative Station prior to cutting out.
* Next I cut a hole in the mat board, on the top of the trailer base. This will be the opening to hold the toothpicks.
* Using a circle die that was slightly smaller than the opening cut in the mat board, I die-cut an opening on the silver cardstock. I trimmed any of the mat board that was peeking out from the silver cardstock.
* Next I adhered the silver cardstock to the trailer front, back and base, aligning the openings in the top of the base.
* After trimming the teal cardstock to the size that I wanted, I made score lines at 1/4 inch intervals to simulate the aluminum siding on vintage trailers. The scored pieces were then adhered to the bottom sides of the trailer base.
* I made hubcaps for the wheels out of gray card stock and a small button die. These hubcaps were glued to the center of each wheel, then the wheels were glued on the sides of the trailer base.
* The front, back, and base pieces were folded along the score lines. Then, starting at the top of base, the front was glued to the each side of the base, one side at a time, by applying a combination of double-sided tape and quick-drying liquid adhesive to each of the folded tabs. After the front was completely dry and set, I glued the back to the base sides in the same way.
* I “finished” the edges of the trailer by using a black Copic marker and coloring all exposed edges. This helps hide small cutting and gluing mistakes!
* It was now time to glue the hitch on the trailer and add some final embellishments! I first colored the hitch using the a black Copic marker, folded along the score line and glued to the bottom front of trailer. I cut two very thin strips of red metallic card stock and glued along the sides of the trailer at the top edge of the teal cardstock. Next, using the Carta Bella Camping Trailer die set I cut a door and four windows from various colored cardstock and glued in place. Then as a final embellishment, I used a hole punch to cut four tail lights of of the red metallic cardstock and glued on back of trailer.
* As the final step, I cut about 1/3 off of the top of the medicine bottle then glued over the opening on the top of the trailer…and voila, I have an awesome toothpick holder!
TIP: The metallic cardstock showed every spot of oozed glue, to get rid of that I used a small amount of hand sanitizer on a paper towel and gently scrubbed the glue away.
I hope you enjoyed this project. If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I’ll try to answer. Until next time…Happy Crafting!
Hugs & Love, Angie
- Sizzix Eileen Hull Bigz XL 3D Travel Trailer
- Sizzix Mat Board,/6 x 13 inches,White
- Sizzix Big Shot Die Cutting Machine
- Sizzix Extended Multipurpose Platform
- Idea-ology Tim Holtz Metallic Kaft-Stock, Metallic Jewels
- Idea-ology Tim Holtz Metallic Kraft-Stock, Metallic Confections
- Hero Arts Infinity Dies – Circles
- Xyron Creative Station
- Gina K Connect Glue
- Aileen’s Tacky Glue – Turbo
- Scor-Tape 1/4″ wide
- Score Pal Score Buddy
- Copic Sketch Alcohol Marker – 110 Black
- Carta Bella Camping Trailer Die Set